ABOUT THE INVENTOR’S OPEN DAY
The Mauritius Research Council’s Technology Transfer Office (TTO) is organising its 9th Inventors’ Open Day to promote awareness on innovation and the use of intellectual property in Mauritius.
For this session, two guest speakers have been invited to provide practical information on the processes that have been developed within their organisations relevant to the delivery of services, and how innovation is playing a role in shaping their approach towards enhancing the provision of these services.
Individuals and representatives from Research & Development institutions, SMEs, enforcement agencies, innovators, IP practitioners, entrepreneurs, creators and users of IP assets, stakeholders from different sectors and the public.
|13:00 – 13:30
||Registration of Participants|
|13:30 – 13:40
||Dr A Suddhoo, Executive Director|
Mauritius Research Council
|13:35 – 13:45
||Hon. Minister Etienne Sinatambou|
Ministry of Technology, Communication and Innovation
|13:45 – 14:00
|14:00 – 14:05
||TTO Advisory Services
||Dr N Gopaul, Research Coordinator|
Mauritius Research Council
|14:05 – 14:35
||SME Development Schemes
- Introduction to SMEDA
- SME Development Scheme
Chi Kam Chun
|14:35 – 15:05
||GRF and Assistive Devices for Persons with Disabilities
- Introduction to the Global Rainbow Foundation and its activities
- Key beliefs of GRF- Aims and vision of the NGOs in line with the evolving sector
- GRF’s commitment towards the Mauritian community and Persons with disabilities
- Assistive Devices for Persons with Disabilities
- Innovation done by GRF
- Training achieved by GRF and how transfer of know-how is being done in the Mauritian context.
- Strategies to sustain the NGO in the CSR Based sector
- The way forward
|Dr Youven Gopalla |
|15:05 – 15:15
|15:15 – 15:20
||Vote of Thanks
||Dr A Suddhoo |
ABOUT THE SPEAKERS
Mr Maurice Chi Kam Chun joined the Small Industries Development Organization (SIDO) in 1986 as Extension Officer and has been promoted to Assistant Manager since 1998 . Currently he is the Head of the Business Counselling and Facilitation Unit of MyBiz/SMEDA .
Beyond his scope of duties, Mr Maurice has also been the Program Manager of Shell Live WIRE, a youth entrepreneurship initiative held in 2000-2006. He has also been acting as Officer in Charge of MyBiz.
Throughout his career, he has had the privilege to follow specialized training sessions in SME Development in India, UK, Italy, China, Singapore and Japan.
Dr Youven Naiken Gopalla holds a Doctor in Medicine (MD) and was inaugural scholar for the MBA (Innovation and Leadership) from University of Mauritius and Ducere Business School, Australia. He is member of the International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine and the Medical Council of Mauritius. Currently he is the General Manager of the Global Rainbow Foundation and as a disability expert, he regularly organises Disability Awareness Workshops for private and public organisations. In 2015, he was elected as Executive Board Member of the Mauritius Council of Social Services and is currently the Chairman of the Construction committee for Regional Leadership Centre for Macoss.
Under his leadership since 2013, the Global Rainbow Foundation has worked around the region helping address many of today’s greatest challenges encountered by Persons with Disabilities. This has meant:
- Providing more than 900 amputees with free both lower limb and upper limb prosthesis
- Making more than 50 children with cerebral palsy stand on their feet for the first time in their life
- Providing free assistive devices ( motorised wheelchairs, scooters, laptops, SmartCanes, braille notes) to over 200 persons with disabilities
- Introducing the SmartCane technology in Mauritius and Africa
- Implementing the Visionary Learning Program in partnership with the Royal Institute for the Blind as a pilot program in Mauritius
- Providing free rehabilitation service to Persons with Disabilities
- Organising concerts and events to showcase the hidden talents of Persons with Disabilities
Participants wishing to attend the Inventors’ Open Day are requested to fill the Registration Form and return it by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com or by fax: 465 1239.
Closing date: Wednesday 28 September 2016
Note: Seats are limited and reservations will be confirmed on a first-come, first-served basis.